Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Commissioned by Jesus! Matthew 10:1-15

Today's Reading: Matthew 10:1-15

During World War II General Patton was know to give lengthy but inspiring speeches to the troops. He would be blunt and harsh with his words. However effective as these were he was contributed as to building up soldiers to fight with fervor and honor. He was also known for his berating soldiers who were cowards and gutless.
Jesus in this passage gave a similar speech to his disciples, without the harshness and berating. He commissioned 12 soldiers ...er um... disciples. He told them to go into their own people, the Jews. He gave them power to heal and drive out demons. Some have commented that they were probably reluctant in going out but I beg to differ. Jesus Himself gave the command to go. He told them to their face to go. I believe that they were so anxious to go that they didn't hesitate at all.
Also Jesus told them to not take any money or an extra set of clothes. Why? So that they were COMPLETELY dependant on God. If they had brought items on their trips it could be said that they did these things under their OWN power. Who gets glory in that? Right they do, but the person who should get Glory, Honor and Praise in this God. So it was necessary to bring NOTHING.
As you go about your day today observe things you do under your own power and things you do under Jesus' power. Which is better? What is your motivation for your actions? (This is one that I struggle with ALL the time).
 Here are a few questions that I think will help with your study this morning:


What does this passage say?
What does this passage mean?
What is God telling me?
How am I encouraged and strengthened?
Is there sin in my life for which confession and repentance is needed?
How can I be changed, so I can learn and grow?
What is in the way of these precepts affecting me? What is in the way of my listening to God?
How does this apply to me? What will I do about it?
What can I model and teach?
What does God want me to share with someone?

If you are keeping a journal, write these in there and your answers.


(PS It's good to be back)

No comments: